Code of Ethics
The purpose of the Code of Ethics shall be to set and improve standards within the practice of providing home medical equipment and services. To maintain the ethical conduct and integrity of this Association, a member pledges to abide by the following:
- To render the highest level of care promptly and competently, taking into account the health and safety of the patient.
- To serve all patients regardless of race, creed, national origin, or reason of illness.
- To provide quality home medical equipment and services which are appropriate for the patient’s needs and to never knowingly condone or assist the dispensing, promoting or distributing of medical devices or services which are not good quality, or which lack therapeutic value for the patient.
- To instruct the patients and/or caregivers in the proper use of the equipment.
- To explain fully and accurately to patients and/or caregivers the patient’s rights and obligations regarding the rental, sale, and service of home medical equipment.
- To respect the confidential nature of the patient’s records and not to disclose such information without prior authorization, except as required by law.
- To continue to expand and improve professional knowledge and skills so as to provide patients with equipment and services which are continually updated.
- To abide by both federal and local laws and regulations which govern the home medical equipment industry and to accept these ethical principals; not to engage in any activity that will bring discredit to this business field; and expose, without fear or favor, illegal or unethical conduct.
- To avoid participating, directly or indirectly, with a source of patient referrals in a "captive referral arrangement,” whereby patients are directed to utilize a supplier of home medical equipment in derogation of the patient’s rights to select the suppliers of their choice.
- To act in good faith; to be honest, truthful and fair to all concerned, and to hold the health and safety of patients as first consideration, promptly rendering to each patient the full measure of his or her ability.